Tuesday 28 April 2009

Jaunty Jackalope and Bob Dylan

The installation of Jaunty went off, pretty much, without a hitch.  Install a whole new operating system without problems?  That’s Ubuntu.  The fonts and icons are a bit crisper, the boot time a bit quicker, the menus less cluttered, the installation of new programmes and packages from the repositories quicker, whatever problem with the default movie player which meant it couldn’t play movies is fixed and the default desktop background different, but other than that it’s the same old warhorse. 

I’ll use it for a while and if I have anything else to say about it then, I’ll say it.  I’m a user and not a programmer, so I just look at the pretty colours.  If you’re looking to switch from Windows, there’s never been a better time.  Jaunty is the most user-friendly release yet and only takes half-an-hour to install, tops. 

In other, more important news, Dylan’s new album Together Through Life drops today.  I’m taking a half-day from work, buying an actual physical copy from an actual physical shop, burning it to mp3 so I can X-Fi it through my expensive headphones, lay in bed and experience it.  Then I’ll come back here and rant about how great it is.



No comments: